December 17, 2010

Favorite Things

It's that time of year; the time of year to be merry, to be bright, to be giving and to be...maybe...just a little bit self indulgent?

How many of us can honestly say that we haven't succumbed to buying a little something for ourselves while out shopping for others? And even though I've been pretty good at resisting temptation (only succumbing to a frivolous art supply or two*), I have slowly started building my own little post-Christmas indulgence list.**

So...on the heel of Oprah's Favorite Things***...I present to you:

Lisa's Favorite Things

7. Ski Socks - I am a victim of perpetually cold hands and feet. Blame it on poor circulation, blame it on my reptilian likeness...whatever you do, do NOT blame it on the lack of red meat in my diet. Despite what my mother thinks, a steak isn't going to warm my hands and feet...that is, unless it's grilled and wrapped around my extremities a la steak mittens and steak Uggs. Anyways, nothing keeps my feet warm quite like a pair of ski socks. I don't know what sort of magical weaving process differentiates ski socks from normal socks but these things are so good I have been known to wear ski socks to bed.

6. Toms Shoes - I lovingly call my Toms my "ugly shoes". Hideous yet so easy to slip on and off. And don't think I haven't noticed their uncanny resemblance to ninja shoes.


5. Snuggie - Everyone thinks I'm joking but I'm not. Too many times this year already I have found myself sitting on the couch with my throw wrapped around me only to extend my arms and find...there are no sleeves. What a buncha crap. OR, I have found myself sitting on the couch wearing my robe only to find my feet and ankles are cold. What a bunchier buncha crap.

4. Tank Cat House - Kitty goes "Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!". Hahahahahahahaha. Good thing Bill doesn't know how to use the computer cause...shhhhh...Santa's bringing this good little kitty a tank.


3. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Butter beer! BUTTER BEER!

2. Waldo's Dirty Chai Latte - Having frequented my fair share of Houston coffee houses, I think I have found my favorite at Waldo's. The place looks like grandma's house, smells like grandma's bosom**** and brews the best, BEST dirty chai latte.



And for my biggest, baddest, favorite thing...drumroll please...

1. KITTENS!!! Kittens for you! And you! AND YOU! KIIITTTEEENS! [said in Oprah's bellowing voice....cue kittens dropping from the ceiling onto a screaming, crying, hysterical audience]

Merry Christmas!!!


*It's a business expense so it doesn't count. Right? =)
**This is not a not-so-subtle Christmas wish list hint to Mr. Chow. I have been informed by the husband that my Christmas Amazon box is already sitting under the tree. But...you know...our 1 year wedding anniversary is just around the corner. =)
***Which really wasn't that impressive. After giving away cars to the entire audience years ago, giving away CARS again just doesn't excite me anymore. C'mon Oprah. I expected better from you. I expected mansions, golden tickets and hovercrafts.
****Or at least what I would imagine one of those TV grandma's bosoms would smell like. TV grandmas != Chinese grandmas. Chinese grandmas smell like Chinese herbs and tiger balm.

4 comments:

Justine said...

merry christmas Lisa and a fabulous 2011 to you!

Lisa Chow said...

To you too, Justine!!!

Beth HF said...

You make me laugh-I love that! Great Christmas list~I found your blog because of your 100 Abandoned Houses post. I am too, a fan of those dilapidated beauties (having spent much time exploring them as a kid/adult-Virginia has a lot of old houses). Merry Christmas. I love those shoes, may have to add to my wish list.

Lisa Chow said...

Thanks Beth! I'm too big of a weenie to go exploring old dilapidated Houston houses...I fear mutant rats, hostile homeless and dust bunnies...just to name a few. =)