July 25, 2011

To Be Or Not To Be

As I dig myself deeper into this art career and as I learn more about this crazy art industry, I am realizing I will need to make some very important and difficult decisions:

Dialogue or decorative?*
To sell out or to not sell out?**
Artist or illustrator?***

Fine tuning an "illustration" piece I intend to turn into prints.

While I have always dreamt of being taken seriously as a fine artist, to have my work featured in notable galleries and to eventually earn the respect of...anyone; fine art is also an extremely rough road, not always successful and not often lucrative. On the other hand, I have also dreamt of seeing my work in lights, seeing it available to people (even if they can't afford pricey originals) and making a living off what I enjoy. But, that path can also result in diluting the artwork and turning me into a sellout**.


And while I'm still weighing the pros and cons, I find the same thought popping up in my head over and over again:

Why can't I have both?
Why can't I do it all?
Why can't I have my cake and eat it too, damnit!?

So, here goes nothing...and here I go...to stuff my face.****


*Do I have a message to convey? Or is it just pretty to look at?
**Whatever that even means.
***Apparently, this can be a touchy subject in the art world. Can't we all just get along?
****Which entails: 1) Differentiating my "fine art" pieces from my "illustration" pieces 2) Updating the website 3) New business cards 4) And butt loads more

No comments: