August 15, 2011

If You Build It

Today marks seven months since I gave corporate America the middle finger* and said "You don't own me anymore!"**.


Let's do a quick recap of the past seven***:
  • Post employment high ~fist pumps~
  • First big $ commission woohoo
  • Long spurts of doubt boohoo
  • Shown art in various shops/shows exposure!
  • Met with a gallerist and didn't get laughed at success!
  • Never heard back from gallerist reject
  • Participated in some neato arts/crafts markets cha-ching
  • Became internationally known like Will Smith...ok not quite
  • Paid myself ~cries uncontrollably~
  • Got a blurb in a magazine ~self back pats~
  • Started painting oils <3
  • Optimistic about the future =D


Needless to say, it's been a fun seven months. I still get days when I question everything I'm doing and wonder about my own sanity. But then there are great days that completely obliterate those doubtful days.

AND

I've got some really exciting things in the works. Exciting things that tell me I'm on the right track. Exciting things that tell me to keep persisting****. Exciting things to be revealed very soon...cue...


...ANNOYING CLIFFHANGER...


*In the retelling of my final departure, I like to tell people that I strolled in wearing my finest bathrobe, incited a rebellion in the cafeteria, graffitied my office, left angry messages for those who sucked, kicked a computer, smashed a printer and left slow-mo walking backwards while middle finger pumping my fists in the air. Whereas, in reality, I bid everyone a cordial adieu, shook hands, patted backs, awkward hugged and smiled the entire time. I'm a weenie.
**And in doing so, I inadvertently caused myself to not own much in the near future cause...you know...an uneducated, inexperienced artist is not very highly sought after.
***What you are about to read is the blog equivalent of a sitcom's clip show.
****Apparently, you can take the girl out of business but you can't take the business out of the girl. I think, despite all my lamentations, my business degree gives me an advantage in this crazy art world where too many talented artists rely solely on their work to speak for itself. World, meet...The Business Artist. omgoxymoronmindblown

3 comments:

Han Stoney said...

Congratulations! What a heartening story.

naughtyshorts! said...

yay! the world is your oyster!

Lisa Chow said...

Thanks! Psst...can it be chocolate cake instead of oysters?