August 26, 2011

Stride

Probably THE MOST frustrating and doubt inducing* art objective I struggle with is finding my personal artistic style. And probably THE WORST way of finding it is to look at other people's work**.

My 60 days of drawing challenge is helping me confirm what I love drawing the most.

Too many times I have found myself second guessing what I do after looking at*** too much art. Let me give you just a little taste of things I find myself thinking when I've inundated my brain with too much gallery visiting, museum hopping and internet surfing:

- I don't paint well enough.
- I don't draw realistic enough.
- Brighter colors.
- More shock value.
- Maybe I should go abstract; abstract seems to do well.
- That seems to be popular; perhaps I should go that route.
- Nothing here looks like what I do.

That. Last. Statement. That statement is the stuff of my nightmares. It is giving me premature worry lines. Yet...

That last statement is keeping me warm at night. It is giving me fuzzy feelings that maybe...just maybe...there's a special place for me yet.

Merging just about everything I love into one: homes, animals, quirk

And there are certainly days when I still question my 'style'****. But I am coming to terms that maybe...just maybe...I'm one of the lucky ones where I hit my style on the head pretty much from the get-go*****.

Buildings. Rabbits. Animals. Pretty. Subdued colors.

New oils. Same old rabbit.

So while some people stride, some people swagger and some people strut, I skip******............to the beat of my own drum.


*I know I bitch and moan about a lot of things but I bet THIS is the underlying root of 80% of those other things I bitch and moan about. And 80% of the time, I'm right every time.
**But I'm NOT recommending not looking at other people's work. A smart artist is an educated artist. And an educated artist knows what's going on in the art world. I am not a smart artist. Working on it.
***And ultimately comparing myself to other artists. Comparing is a hop away from competing. And there really is no use competing in art...despite every overachieving, 3rd grade spelling bee champion, 3.9 GPA (yeah, you heard right. WHAT.), Type A fiber of my being.
****Especially on days when someone asks me, "Are you still exploring or have you settled on your look?" What do you mean SETTLED?!?!?!!
*****Before you think I have an inflated head and ego, I am CONSTANTLY learning, fine tuning, evolving and all that other good stuff a real artist is suppose to do.
******And trip over my own feet and face plant like Olivier on Project Runway. Did you see that?!?! He ate it so bad. So bad it was...AWESOME.

3 comments:

Kristin M. said...

What a wonderful post... everything about your style is wonderful - the colors, the quirkiness, the delicacy - I'm so glad your style is your style and not something else! I love the latest houses/animals drawing.

Lisa Chow said...

Thanks Kristin!!! I am quite a fan of the soft and delicate stylings of your personal photos too. Especially...ESPECIALLY...when it involves cats. :)

Vixie said...

Hi Lisa - I think your style is wonderful! It's really inspiring that you are just doing what you want to do in your own unique way, even if you do sometimes feel a bit unsure about it - if only I had that confidence!