November 5, 2012

Jerry Maguireing and Sinking Battleships

Hello, old friend. It's been a while.

But have no fear. In an effort to appease the blog gods who smite down those who take too long between posts, I am offering up an extremely long, contemplative and reflective post.

This morning, while I corrected my typos and ate my vegan cinnamon roll.

So, as you may know, I decided in early 2011 to take my artwork full time and to see where it could go. And while it has taken me to some pretty amazing places; I hadn't quite figured out exactly where I wanted to go with it.

But, in the past couple of weeks and months, I feel like I'm honing in. I think the clouds are clearing, the waves are parting, I've spied the target and I'm going to sink that battleship.*

In the wee early hours post daylight savings time reversal, I woke up with an urgency (that didn't involve pee) and a sudden clarity. Fueled by my new found inspiration, I took to my laptop and I Jerry Maguired. I Jerry Maguired so hard.

Recent activities.

First, I'm falling in love with my work and it feels good. I love the color palette I've been using. I love my sweet faceless girls. I love my animals. I love my dollhouses. In the past, I loved the things I drew but there was never a common narrative tying everything together. And what I've found is a strong desire to story tell; to refocus all my drawings and paintings and to let them illustrate the stories floating around in my head. The resulting work is more personal and therefore, I'm more vested.

Second, I've been encouraged by enough of you and I've been screwing up just enough courage to finally dip a toe into one of my pipe dreams: I'm going to write a book. My paintings this past year have all stemmed from one of two stories. I think it's time to get those characters, settings and plot lines out of my head and into my word processing software. Nothing may come from this. I may complete my stories and they just sit in my computer. I may decide they're good enough to self publish. I may go temporarily insane and actually see if any real publishing company wants a stab at them. It's a long shot. But hey, YOLO.

And finally, I'm expanding my product line. So far, my main focus has been on original paintings and prints but I take a look around my own walls and there is just so much art one house can take. Even, I'm guilty of not buying art I love because it's too expensive, I have no more room for it or...gasp...it doesn't fit my home decor.** So, I'm venturing more into greeting cards, stationary and gift items. It just makes sense. Business sense.

So, there you have it. I've Jerry Maguired and written my new manifesto for all the world to see. Now who's gonna Renee Zellweger and come with me?

I can't do it without you.

You complete me.

Taking a break from Jerry Maguireing to Christmasfy.

*Child of the 80s metaphor for the win!!! =D
**Which means the artwork in question had to have been really out there cause I'm all about the Frasier Crane/Anthropologie/eclectic/insane librarian aesthetic.

No comments: